Sunday, December 13, 2009

"I wonder if I can find a good burger around here."

I was asked somewhat last-minute to take part in a print exchange between students of Ohio State and USU. The theme was "Wanderlust," which is a word that makes me somewhat uncomfortable. You could use any media and the (final) paper size was 11x11. Mine is 6 colors printed in 4 runs on machine-made Mulberry. You'll notice that it's a portrait like 99% of my other prints. This time was the smallest face I've ever done and I'm happy with the addition of an environment. Doing this made me wish that I had more time to spend in the print studio. It also made me question whether I'll ever finish a print that I don't wish I had done something different with. I'm generally 90% satisfied but there are always little things here and there that I wish I could change but by that point I've generally carved 2-4 blocks for the print and can't see how carving one more would actually help it. Anywho, hope you like it.


5 comments:

Mysha said...

matt- I love the colors! How did you do his helmet?

matthew carl nelson said...

I used two separate blocks. The first I did the bright yellow and then the oliveish green for the linework. Then I used a stencil on the second block when doing the grey and pounced the edges to soften them, then I carved the actual round helmet and printed it over the top with a semi-transparent white.

Adrienne said...

It's alright. I guess.

amyluck said...

Now that I've seen where you work on all your prints I picture you slaving away late at night with frizzy-Matt-hair and wild eyes...and then the masterpiece is finished!! I love it Matt!

Lana said...

Is that Ronald Reagan on the moon, or some other planet, or just walking around in an astronaut outfit up in the mountains.